The Tripoli government left the ceasefire talks late on Tuesday after the Libyan National Army (LNA) hit Tripoli’s port allegedly targeting a Turkish ship bringing in arms.
With regards to international calls to come back to the negotiation table, Prime Minister Fayez Al-Sarraj told reporters that “there must first be a strong signal from all international players who are trying to talk to us.”
While the LNA’s leader General Khalifa Haftar ruled out a truce with “terrorists” and “Turkish invaders,” suggesting the near year-long battle will continue.
The U.N. Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Wednesday condemned the attack on the port, saying it could have led to a "real catastrophe" but added it hoped the talks could resume.
"The Mission calls for an end to the escalation and provocative actions, especially the expansion of the conflict area, and urges all parties to resort to dialogue as the only means to end the crisis," it said.
Also on Wednesday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu met Haftar for talks on resolving the conflict. Both discussed the situation in Libya and "the important role of talks" held in the Russian capital last month, as well as "the need to fulfill" terms agreed at the Berlin summit.
War Continues Despite Arms Embargo and Fragile Truce
As fighting continues despite a fragile truce, the U.N. envoy said Sunday that the situation is “complicated because there are violations by land, sea, and air, but it needs to be monitored and there needs to be accountability,” warning that Libya was now awash with advanced weapons.
On Jan. 19, in a Germany-led peace summit all countries with interests in the conflict - as well as the two warring sides - agreed to respect the disregarded international arms embargo on the North African nation.
The LNA, which is backed by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), France and Russia, has been fighting off a ten-month-long offensive over the capital, which is the last stronghold of the U.N.-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) of premier al Sarraj, who is backed by Turkey, Qatar, and Italy.
As part of the international measures to deescalate the conflict, on Monday European Union foreign affairs ministers agreed to launch a new operation in the Mediterranean to enforce a United Nations arms embargo on Libya.