The Venezuelan government and opposition have made "significant progress" in two-day talks designed to reach a peaceful end to the political turmoil gripping the country, according to Dominican Republic President Danilo Medina.
Announcing that the dialogue would resume December 15 in Santo Domingo, Madina said Saturday: "The government and the opposition declare that there has been significant progress in the search for an agreement that peacefully resolves the situation in Venezuela. It's better to go slowly so that things go well."
The two-day talks, which ended today, were marked by an atmosphere of mutual respect, Madina noted, stressing that much progress had been made in advancing the six-point agenda.
The head of the government delegation, Jorge Rodríguez, described the dialogue as "positive."
"The first big news is that we sat down and discussed topics of the highest interest for the Venezuelan homeland," Rodríguez told a press conference held in the Dominican chancellery.
"The second great news is that we have worked in depth on the six points. We are very close to an agreement, so much so that on December 15 we will sit down again."
Opposition representative Julio Borges, meanwhile, stressed the significance of the discussions and asked for "more rights for Venezuelans to overcome this crisis."
"For us it was important to have a meeting in which the Venezuelan government and the opposition could present their points of view focused on the six points of the agenda," he said.
The government is asking the opposition to end its collaboration with foreign states imposing sanctions on the Venezuela, preventing the economy from being stabilized.
The opposition is seeking "humanitarian aid" from outside of the country, and demanding the release of hundreds of "political prisoners" they claim the government is holding.