The former head of Brazil's Olympic Committee, or COB, Carlos Nuzman, and five others have been charged with corruption by the Federal Prosecutors Officer Tuesday.
Nuzman, 75, a former International Olympic Committee member, is accused of arranging bribes to get the IOC to pick Rio as host of the 2016 Olympic Games.
Together with five others, Nuzman was convicted of racketeering, money laundering and violating currency laws during his tenure as elected president of the 2016 Olympic Games.
The Senegalese ex-head of the global athletics department, Lamine Diack, and his son, Papa Massata were among those included in the criminal charges.
"In addition to the sentence for the typified crimes, the complaint calls for compensation for material damages amounting to US$2 million and moral damages amounting to US$315 million," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Nuzman resigned last week as head of the COB. In a letter to the committee he said he needed to devote himself to his legal defense and would not be returning.
The former COB director, who was provisionally suspended by the International Olympic Committee and arrested on Oct. 5, continues to deny the charges.
The former governor of Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Cabral, and former COB director Leonardo Gryner were also charged with corruption in connection with a US$2 million payment to guarantee votes for Rio, the prosecutors’ office said.
The five officials were accused of influencing host bids for the Olympic Games Rio 2016 by buying votes from African countries in the International Olympic Committee.
In order to prevent any destruction of evidence, the Prosecutor's Officer transferred him to a prison in Rio de Janeiro where it's said he will remain indefinitely.
The IOC nominated Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games in October 2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark over Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid.