• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • People march to mark the third year since the disappearance of the 43 students from the Ayotzinapa teaching college in Mexico.

    People march to mark the third year since the disappearance of the 43 students from the Ayotzinapa teaching college in Mexico. | Photo: Reuters

Published 24 October 2017

Organizations seeking justice for Mexico's disappeared are demanding tougher investigations.

The Mexican government is set to appear again at the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, or IACHR, to testify on cases of human rights violations, specifically the case of the 43 Ayotzinapa students, which hasn't been solved after three years.

RELATED:
Mexico Marks 3 Years Since 43 Ayotzinapa Students Were Disappeared

The organization will analyze if there has been advances in the case during a session in Montevideo, Uruguay, where government representatives and human rights organizations will present their arguments. 

The cases to be analyzed include the kidnapping of 43 students at the Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers' College in Iguala, Guerrero, disappearance and torture accusations in Coahuila and the use of excessive pretrial detention.

In previous discussions, Mexican government representatives recognized that at least nine of the students' cell phones were active and working after the disappearance date on Sept. 26 and 27, 2014. This differs from their official version of the facts, which alleged they had been killed and incinerated in a waste dump.

This will be the third appearance since independent experts from the institution visited the country and published its final report on the case in 2016, when they rejected the government's version of the case.

The commission then told the government of President Enrique Peña Nieto that it should "exhaust diligently and exhaustively the lines of investigation in relation to these events, including those that link the possible involvement of state agents and security forces at all levels, as well as all omissions and possible obstructions to justice."

It also stated that since December 2015, authorities hadn't presented any new accusations and that to this date, there is no one prosecuted for the crime of enforced disappearance.

The international commission said it called on the government to redouble its efforts in the search for justice for the missing students and to prevent this "emblematic case of grave human rights violations from remaining in impunity."


Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.