Ukraine Involved in Attempted Assassination of Top Russian Military Intelligence Official
Suspects in Assassination Attempt on Gen. Vladimir Alexeyev. X/ @ivan_8848
February 9, 2026 Hour: 9:11 am
🔗 Comparte este artículo
Russian authorities link one suspect to Navalny-founded group.
On Monday, Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) informed that two suspects in the attempted assassination of Lt. Gen. Vladimir Alexeyev acknowledged ties to Ukrainian intelligence.
RELATED:
Russia Accuses Ukraine of Sabotaging Peace Talks After General’s Shooting
“Russian citizens Liubomir Korba, born in 1960, and Viktor Vasin, born in 1959, admitted their guilt and provided details of the attempted assassination of the first deputy head of the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, Lt. Gen. Vladimir Alexeyev, carried out on the orders of the Security Service of Ukraine,” the FSB stated.
According to the FSB, Korba was the direct perpetrator of the attack and Vasin acted as his accomplice. Korba was recruited by an SBU agent in August 2025 in the city of Ternopil, underwent firearms training at a shooting range in Kiev, received instruction in communications systems, and was sent to Russia via the route Kiev–Chisinau–Tbilisi–Moscow.
Investigators also linked Korba’s son, Lubos Korba, a Polish citizen, to the case, alleging that he participated in recruiting his father with the support of Polish intelligence services.
“On the orders of the SBU, Korba, in exchange for a monthly payment in cryptocurrency, surveilled senior commanders of the Russian Armed Forces in the Moscow region. He retrieved from a hideout in the Moscow region a Makarov pistol with a silencer and ammunition, as well as an electronic key to the door of the building where Alexeyev lived,” the FSB said.
The key was provided by another accomplice, Zinaida Serebritskaya, who rented an apartment in the same building and managed to flee to Ukraine. Korba entered the building, waited for Alexeyev to appear and fired four shots at him.
After the attack, he discarded the pistol and a backpack, changed clothes and boarded a flight to the United Arab Emirates, where he was detained at the request of Russian authorities.
“The SBU promised him US$30,000 if the attack on Alexeyev was successful,” the FSB said, adding that his accomplice, Vasin, rented an apartment where Korba lived during preparations for the attack.
Authorities also linked Vasin to the Anti-Corruption Foundation (FBK) founded by late Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny. The organization has been outlawed and banned in Russia.
Alexeyev was shot on Friday, after earlier this week his superior, Igor Kostiukov, head of the Main Directorate of the General Staff (GRU), met in Abu Dhabi with Ukrainian and U.S. delegations to negotiate a possible peace settlement in Ukraine. Alexeyev sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen, arm and leg at his residence in Moscow.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov accused Ukraine of being behind the attack in an effort to sabotage the peace negotiations, which Kostiukov is leading for the Russian side.
The attempted assassination of Alexeyev adds to a long list of attacks against senior Russian military officials. The most recent occurred in December, when Fanil Sarvarov, head of operations at the Russian Army’s General Staff, was killed in Moscow by a car bomb explosion.
The general was responsible for groups of mercenary soldiers operating internationally. He was also known for negotiating with Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin during the mutiny in June 2023, when Prigozhin seized military garrisons in the city of Rostov-on-Don.
teleSUR/ JF
Source: EFE




