‘Raul is Raul’ is the Slogan Summarizing Cuban Anti-Imperialist Sentiment
March in support of Raul Castro, Havana, May 22, 2026. Photo: CubaDebate
May 22, 2026 Hour: 12:36 pm
🔗 Comparte este artículo
Thousands marched to reject U.S. charges against former president Raul Castro and reaffirm support for the revolution.
On Friday, thousands of Cubans marched through Havana toward the Anti-Imperialist Tribune Jose Marti to reject U.S. accusations against former President Raul Castro, who is 94 years old.
RELATED:
Why Raul Castro’s Indictment Risks Further Escalation in U.S.-Cuba Tensions
“Raul is Raul” is the phrase summarizing the prevailing sentiment: Raul Castro is Cuba and Cuba must be respected. Young people, students, workers, scientists, creators, farmers and people of all ages gathered at the Tribune to demonstrate their support for the Cuban Revolution and its leaders.
Previously, on May 20, the U.S. Department of Justice filed criminal charges against Gen. Castro for his alleged responsibility in the 1996 downing of two aircraft belonging to the terrorist organization “Brothers to the Rescue.”
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio later described Castro as a “fugitive” from U.S. justice and suggested that Washington could have plans to enter Cuba to detain Castro and bring him before U.S. courts.
“No disrespect is shown to the heroes of the homeland! History and traditions are not insulted without a response! That does not happen in Cuba!,” President Miguel Diaz-Canel stated.
“This new aggression has united us more and elevated the honor, dignity and anti-imperialist spirit of a people already recognized around the world for their brave resistance to any form of subordination to the empire,” he added.
The text reads, “Although it is not yet fully dawn, 250,000 people gathered at the Anti-Imperialist Tribune, in front of the United States embassy in Havana, to condemn the new US attacks against Cuba.”
In a speech from the Tribune, Gerardo Hernandez, coordinator of the Committees for the Defense of the Revolution (CDR), blamed the U.S. government for the Feb. 24, 1996 incident.
He recalled that at the time, the leader of Brothers to the Rescue, CIA agent Jose Basulto, repeatedly carried out provocations and violations of Cuban airspace with the purpose of damaging relations between Washington and Havana.
“Washington has no moral authority to judge anyone,” Hernandez said, referring to U.S. maritime attacks that involved the destruction of 57 vessels at sea and the extrajudicial execution of nearly 200 people.
“Cuba is a people of peace and reaffirms its legitimate right to self-defense… Cuba does not constitute a threat to U.S. security. On the contrary, Cuba is a state under attack by the United States,” the CDR leader said, recalling that 3,478 Cubans died and 2,099 suffered lasting injuries or disabilities as a result of acts of terrorism organized, financed, or tolerated by the U.S. government.
“The Cuban people reaffirm the unwavering decision to defend their homeland and revolution. With the greatest determination, they reaffirm their absolute and firm support for Army General Raul Castro, as declared by the Revolutionary Government and as is being expressed in every corner of the nation,” Hernandez said.
Other speakers argued that the U.S. accusations against Castro have neither legal nor moral validity, lack legitimacy, contradict international law, and violate the principles of sovereignty and jurisdiction.
The text reads, “”Raul Castro Ruz is the loyal Cuban. The tireless guerrilla fighter who, just days shy of his 95th birthday, continues the battle to defend the hard-won sovereignty. Cuba stands firm. Cuba will prevail.”
Cuba Is a Small Country but Has Experience Fighting Imperialism
On Friday, legislator Mariela Castro, daughter of Raul Castro, expressed outrage over Washington’s accusations against her father, who fought in the guerrilla movement that overthrew the U.S.-backed dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista in 1959.
“We are prepared for combat. No one is going to kidnap him. I can assure you of that. Neither him nor anyone else,” she told reporters after an event condemning the charges against the former Cuban president.
“My family, like all Cuban families, is waiting for instructions to know where we need to go under any circumstances,” Mariela said, referring to the Cuban people’s readiness to fight.
“My father is very calm, watching and smiling,” the Cuban lawmaker said, recalling that her father says, “No one is taking me alive. They’ll get me fighting!”
“Here we are prepared to fight imperialism. Cuba is a small and poor country, but one with experience confronting U.S. imperialism. We know that as long as there is an anti-imperialist revolution, there will be a gigantic and ruthless enemy,” Mariela stressed.
teleSUR/ JF
Sources: teleSUR – EFE




