Delcy Rodríguez Mourns Death of Víctor Quero’s Mother

Delcy Rodríguez expressed condolences over the death of Carmen Teresa Navas while ordering continued scrutiny of the case of her son, Víctor Quero Navas.

Delcy Rodríguez, Venezuela, Víctor Quero Navas, Carmen Teresa Navas, custody death investigation, Public Prosecutor, National Assembly

Venezuelan authorities continue investigations into the case of Víctor Quero Navas following the death of his mother, Carmen Teresa Navas. Photo: Venezuelan Presidential Press


May 19, 2026 Hour: 2:48 am

    🔗 Comparte este artículo

  • PDF

Acting president orders investigation into case of Víctor Quero Navas, whose death in custody remains under review


Venezuelan Acting President Delcy Rodríguez expressed condolences on Monday over the death of Carmen Teresa Navas, the mother of Víctor Quero Navas, whose case is being investigated by national authorities following his death while in state custody.

RELATED: Venezuelan Assembly Supports Public Ministry Inquiry About Quero Navas Case

In an official statement, Rodríguez said the government “deeply regrets” the death of Carmen Teresa Navas, which occurred on May 17, 2026. The statement added that, following complaints filed by Navas regarding her son’s case, she had ordered a “rigorous investigation” by the Ombudsman’s Office and the Public Prosecutor’s Office to clarify the circumstances surrounding the matter.

Rodríguez stated that “once the investigations are concluded, the country will be broadly informed about the results and the corresponding actions.”

Text Reads: The Presidency of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela deeply regrets the passing of Mrs. Carmen Teresa Navas, which occurred on Sunday, May 17, 2026. From the moment the complaint regarding the case of her son, Victor Hugo Quero, was received, the President ordered a thorough investigation to clarify what happened and requested the collaboration of the Ombudsman’s Office and the Public Prosecutor’s Office. Once the investigation is concluded, the country will be fully informed about the results and the corresponding actions.

On May 12, Venezuela’s National Assembly expressed support for the investigation opened by the Public Prosecutor’s Office into the death of Víctor Quero Navas, who died while being held in a penitentiary facility under state custody.

The legislature said the probe aims to clarify the circumstances and events that “surrounded Víctor Quero’s health condition and subsequent death while in custody.” It also said it would maintain oversight of the case “within the framework of cooperation among Public Powers established in Article 136 of the Constitution (…) to ensure that the democratic and social State of Law and Justice prevails.”

According to the Ministry for Penitentiary Services, Quero died on July 24, 2025, at Caracas’ Dr. Carlos Arvelo Military Hospital after being diagnosed with acute respiratory failure secondary to pulmonary thromboembolism. Authorities said he had previously presented gastrointestinal bleeding and febrile syndrome.

The Public Prosecutor’s Office said the investigation is being led by the National Human Rights Prosecutor’s Office No. 80. Prosecutors also ordered the immediate exhumation of the body to conduct an autopsy to confirm the cause of death and verify the identity of the remains through DNA testing, as requested by Quero’s mother.

Carmen Teresa Navas. Photo: EFE
Carmen Teresa Navas, Víctor Hugo Quero Navas’s Mother. Photo: EFE
Carmen Teresa Navas, vigil in honor of Víctor Hugo Quero, in Caracas. Photo: EFE

The Penitentiary Ministry said it had made itself available to review the case files and determine why relatives were not notified in time, while his mother searched for him for 17 months.

Author: MK

Source: Venezuelan Presidential Press.