Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov denied the alleged chemical attack in Syria during a press conference Friday. “Russian specialists who examined this place have not found any confirmation of the use of chemical weapons… We have irrefutable data that this was staged," Lavrov said.
The United States, France, and the United Kingdom announced they are considering military retaliation against the Syrian government, headed by President Bashar al-Assad, who they blame for the alleged attacks. U.S. President Donald Trump threatened Syria via Twitter saying “missiles will be coming,” after Russia announced any missiles fired against Syria would be shot down.
On April 7, NGOs, including the White Helmets, said that chemical weapons were used in Douma, Eastern Ghouta. According to a public statement published on April 8, chlorine bombs had been dropped on the city, killing dozens of civilians, including children.
On April 10, Damascus sent an official invitation to the OPCW to visit Eastern Ghouta. On the same day, OPCW Director-General Ahmet Uzumcu said the organization had decided to send its experts to Syria.
"The mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has set off to Syria not so quickly and without abundant enthusiasm but under our and Syrian pressure. It is due to arrive in Damascus in the morning of April 14," the Russian foreign minister said.
Russia, a nuclear power, has a military presence in Syria and is working with Assad’s government warned the U.S. government that airstrikes against Syria could start a war.
According to Russia, the reports of chemical attacks in Syria are part of a strategy designed to justify foreign intervention.