Get our newsletter delivered directly to your inbox
I have already subscribed | Do not show this message again
Your email has been successfully registered.
The Government of Guyana denied use one of its medium wave towers to relay Voice of America content to Venezuela.
Guyana’s President David Granger says that his administration has denied a request by the United States to utilize the country’s medium wave radio frequencies to broadcast Voice of America to Venezuela.
President Granger said that due to a number of considerations, “It would not be in our national interest to do anything to contribute to destabilizing relations at this time.”
Voice of America is the U.S. government’s largest international broadcaster known for ideologically right-wing content which has been criticized for transmitting U.S. government propaganda in a multitude of languages, with scarce journalistic value.
The request dates back to at least April, when a correspondence from the Foreign Ministry dated April 1st, asked the Ministry of Public Telecommunications for guidance to respond to the request by the U.S. government Board of Broadcasting Governors seeking use of Guyana’s towers “reach populations in Venezuela.”
Venezuela's Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza responded to the news on twitter, saying that this is confirmation of a complaint made by President Nicolas Maduro, about the illegal attempt to invade Venezuela’s radio space. Minister Arreaza also tweeted the memorandum between Guyana’s two ministries regarding the use of the country’s infrastructure which had been solicited.
Se comprueba la denuncia del Presidente @NicolasMaduro sobre la política ilegal anunciada por voceros de EEUU para invadir nuestro espacio radioeléctrico. El gobierno de Guyana reconoce que recibió la solicitud de Washington y se negó a prestarse para desestabilizar a Venezuela pic.twitter.com/sxJDKPte9n
Guyana's government has accused the U.S. State Department of interfering in the unresolved electoral process as Washington aims to remove President Nicolas Maduro in neighboring Venezuela.
President Granger along with his family and other officials were the subject of U.S. visa restrictions which were announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on July 15th, supposedly for “the undermining of democracy.”
On Monday, Guyana's acting Chief Justice will rule on the lawsuit seeking to block the elections commission (GECOM) from announcing the winner of the March 2nd polls using the votes from the recount.