• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Protesters in Chicago are demanding the resignation of the city's mayor, Rahm Emanuel.

    Protesters in Chicago are demanding the resignation of the city's mayor, Rahm Emanuel. | Photo: Twitter

Published 9 December 2015

Demonstrators claim he is responsible for police brutality in the Windy City.

Protesters in Chicago have blocked Dearborn Street, just south of Daley Plaza, as part of a demonstration demanding Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel resign, saying he is responsible for police brutality in the Windy City, including in Laquan McDonald’s death, who was shot 16 times. The release of the video of his death at the hands of police prompted protests.

Hundreds of protesters flooded downtown Chicago streets demanding an investigation of the Emanuel's administration. The rally is part of a citywide protest and comes hours after the mayor apologized for the shooting death of McDonald, promising to modify police practices.

According to NBC, the protesters chanted "Whose city? Our city," "Who's got to go? Rahm's got to go," and "No more killer cops."

Demonstrators also gathered at Daley Plaza at noon and started marching on North Dearborn. Two people were detained but later released.

"It's bigger than the shooting of Laquan McDonald, the murder of Percy Coleman's son, it's bigger than Ronnie Man, Ronald Johnson," said Willie J.R. Fleming with the Anti-Eviction Campaign. "It's a cultural corruption. It's the daily practice and procedures of the Chicago Police Department, the City Council of Chicago and the mayor's office."

Earlier in the day, Emanuel told a special City Council meeting he convened that he was sorry about the death of Black teenager McDonald. He also apologized for the 13-month delay in releasing the dashcam video of Laquan's death.

"I own it," the mayor said. "I take responsibility for what happened, because it happened on my watch. And if we're going to fix it, I want you to understand that it's my responsibility."

McDonald was killed the night of Oct. 20, 2014. Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke shot at him despite that he was no longer a threat to anybody. Van Dyke was charged with murder after the video was released.

But McDonald is not the only issue surrounding the protests this Wednesday.

Eight days before McDonald's death, Ronald Johnson was killed by police and the video of his death was released Monday, but Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said that in this case the officer involved will not be charged.

However, Emanuel said authorities would take a new look at Johnson's case. The mayor also spoke of a new analysis into the case of Cedrick LaMont Chatman, a 17-year-old Black boy killed in 2013.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy was fired on earlier this month by Emanuel, after the police department received national criticism for resisting, for more than a year, the release of the video showing the death of McDonald.

WATCH: Activists Slam Police Violence in Chicago

Comment
1
Comments
Rahm says he "owns" the murder and cover up. The least he should do is resign.
Post with no popular comments.