The U.S. military said Tuesday that its airstrikes in Syria targeting the Islamic State group may have killed civilians on at least three separate occasions over the last week.
“At total of three strikes within the past six days on ISIL targets in Syria may have resulted in civilian casualties,” a statement by the United States Central Command said Tuesday, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.
The press release went on to list three different strikes on three different days in which civilians were targeted.
“In a strike on Sep. 7, near Dayz Az Zawr, Syria, on ISIL target, what appeared to be a non-military vehicle drove into the target area after the weapon was released from the aircraft,” the statement said.
Another strike on Sept. 10 against the extremist group near their self-declared capital Raqqa also may have killed civilians in the area.
The third strike Monday may have caused civilian deaths and injuries when “a non-military vehicle drove into the target area after the weapon was released from the aircraft.”
While the press statement did not provide any number for the casualties, the monitoring group Airwars has compiled reports suggesting at least six civilians were killed in the Sept. 10 airstrike on Raqqa.
Last month, Airwars revealed that at least 1,500 people have likely been killed by the U.S.-led coalition in two years of airstrikes in both Syria and Iraq. The U.S. and its allies have carried out more than 14,300 strikes in that time, with the U.S. admitting to killing but a fraction of the claimed civilian death toll.