A federal judge late Monday ordered the Trump administration to resume accepting asylum claims from migrants no matter where or how they entered the United States, according to NBC.
U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order after hearing arguments in San Francisco.
The request was made by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights, who took legal action after President Donald Trump issued the ban this month in response to the caravans of migrants that have started to arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that said anyone who crossed the southern border would be ineligible for asylum, however the new regulations are a blow for the president as it will make it harder for migrants to face deportation.
"Individuals are entitled to asylum if they cross between ports of entry," said Baher Azmy, a lawyer for the Center for Constitutional Rights. "It couldn't be clearer."
Around 3,000 people from the first of the caravans have arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, to the anger of dozens of anti-migrant protestors.
At hearing in San Francisco federal court earlier in the day, Tigar repeatedly asked a Justice Department attorney whether Trump's order was justified and supported by actual evidence.
"To say something is true does not make it true," said Tigar, who was nominated to the court by President Barack Obama.
The hearing came as thousands of Central Americans, including a large number of children, are traveling in caravans toward the U.S. border to escape violence and poverty at home. Some have already arrived at Tijuana, a Mexican city on the border with California.