• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Forensic officers work on the site of a suicide bomb attack in Ankara, Turkey March 14, 2016.

    Forensic officers work on the site of a suicide bomb attack in Ankara, Turkey March 14, 2016. | Photo: Reuters

Published 14 March 2016

The Turkish army said it carried out airstrikes against the Kurdish group in Iraq as President Erdogan vowed to continue fighting terror.

Turkish warplanes bombed camps belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in northern Iraq early Monday, Turkey's army said, following a car bomb attack in Ankara that killed at least 37 people.

Eleven warplanes carried out the strikes on eighteen recently identified targets, including ammunition depots, shelters and other targets, the military said in a statement.

RELATED: 37 Dead After Car Bomb Goes Off in Turkish Capital

Amid the airstrikes, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu stressed Monday that the government’s will to fight what they called terror has not been shaken by the attack.

“Our state will never give up using its right of self-defense in the face of all kinds of terror threats, Erdogan said in a written statement. “All of our security forces, with its soldiers, police and village guards, have been conducting a determined struggle against terror organizations at the cost of their lives.”

ANALYSIS: A History of the Turkish-Kurdish Conflict

Security officials told Reuters that a female member of the PKK was one of two suspected perpetrators of a car bombing.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but Prime Minister Davutoglu claims investigators have already developed a concrete idea of who was behind it. “We have concrete information on the terrorist group behind the attack,” Davutoglu said in a written statement. “We will soon have results from the inquiry, and will make them public.”

OPINION: Erdogan's Domestic War for a Presidential System in Turkey

The attack comes weeks after a separate bombing targeted a military convoy on February 17, killing at least 28 people. The government was quick to blame the PKK for the attack, despite a different group named the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons group, known as TAK, claiming responsibility.  

The TAK are a PKK splinter group, who separated from the latter in 2004 after branding the PKK's operations "too humane."

Post with no comments.