Presidential hopeful Tulsi Gabbard criticized President Donald Trump for “leading us down this dangerous path towards a war with Iran.”
Two Democrats with U.S. military experience vying for the party’s 2020 presidential nomination criticized Republican President Donald Trump Sunday for escalating tensions with Iran that could lead to war.
Representative Tulsi Gabbard, one of 24 Democrats running for the White House nomination, said on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that Trump was “leading us down this dangerous path towards a war with Iran.”
“He says he doesn’t want it, but the actions of him and his administration, people like John Bolton and Mike Pompeo, tell us a very different story. They are setting the stage for a war with Iran that would prove to be far more costly, far more devastating and dangerous than anything that we saw in the Iraq war,” Gabbard said.
Gabbard, 38, enlisted in the U.S. Army National Guard after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, was twice deployed to the Middle East. She says that witnessing war and U.S. interventions have made her rethink her position on U.S. foreign policy, making her one of the most vocal anti-regime change war veterans.
She tweeted a video Thursday saying, “Trump promised to get the US out of “stupid wars.” But now he and John Bolton are on the brink of launching us into a very stupid and costly war with Iran. Join me in sending a strong message to President Trump: The US must NOT go to war with Iran.”
Trump promised to get the US out of “stupid wars.” But now he and John Bolton are on the brink of launching us into a very stupid and costly war with Iran. Join me in sending a strong message to President Trump: The US must NOT go to war with Iran. #TULSI2020 pic.twitter.com/Q1sHDNwZSy— Tulsi Gabbard (@TulsiGabbard) May 16, 2019
Over the years she has come been critical of U.S. involvement in Syria, while in recent months she has come out as an outspoken critic of U.S. policy and sanctions in Venezuela.
Another White House hopeful, Representative Seth Moulton, a 40-year-old former U.S. Marine Corps officer who did four tours in Iraq, told “This Week” that if the Trump administration sends additional troops to the Gulf it could “drag us into war.”
“Make no mistake, this is exactly what John Bolton wants to have happened,” said Moulton adding, “The world is so dangerous when you have a weak commander in chief in the president of the United States.”
He also said that “it’s time for the generation that fought in Iraq and Afghanistan to take over for the generation that sent us there.”
Trump and hawkish foreign policy advisers like national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have tightened economic sanctions against Iran, aiming to strangle its economy by ending its international sales of crude oil.
In May 2018, Trump withdrew the United States from a multinational deal with Iran negotiated by the Obama administration, namely, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action signed in 2015 under which Iran curbed its uranium enrichment capacity and won sanctions relief in return.
John Bolton and Elliott Abrams have also been upping their war rhetoric against Venezuela in recent months while leading Washington's anti-Nicolas Maduro economic war over the past two years with harsh sanctions that economists say have so far killed 40,000 people in Venezuela.