South African gold-mining company Sibanye-Stillwater has said that more than 1,000 miners trapped underground at its Beatrix mine after a storm knocked out power are not in danger.
Spokesman James Wellsted said the miners were safe and receiving food and water, according to a Reuters report. Power was being restored to the mine on Thursday, but there was not yet enough to bring the miners to the surface.
The National Union of Mineworkers said 65 mineworkers had already been rescued, but more than 1,000 remained underground.
"There is no electricity there, so they are using a generator to power the cage to take workers to the surface," NUM spokesman Livhuwani Mammburu told Reuters.
"The problem is they are rescuing one mineworker at a time. It is very slow. It is worrying. Some of our members have chronic conditions and they don't have medication down there."