North Korea wants to investigate a raid on its embassy in Spain claimed by an anti-government dissident group.
North Korea said Sunday it wants to investigate a raid that took place on its embassy in Spain in February, calling it a "grave terrorist attack" that violated international law.
Armed men broke into Pyongyang's Spanish embassy in Madrid and roughed up staff, after which they finally fled with some documents and computers.
This “raid” took place days before a nuclear summit in Vietnam between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and United States President Donald Trump was held; a meeting which ultimately failed to reach an accord.
Responsibility for the break-in was taken by a dissident group which wants to overthrow the government of North Korea. However, the country said that it was closely watching rumors that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and an anti-North Korea group were behind the raid.
"A grave terrorist attack occurred on February 22, where an armed group assaulted the DPRK Embassy in Spain," a spokesperson for the foreign ministry said Sunday in a statement
"An illegal intrusion into and occupation of a diplomatic mission and act of theft are a grave breach of state sovereignty and a flagrant violation of international law, and this kind of act should never be tolerated over the globe," it added.
However, North Korea stopped short of blaming Washington directly and asked Spanish authorities to conduct the investigation in a responsible manner.
"We will wait for the result in patience," the North's state-run KCNA news agency quoted the representative as saying.
Last Wednesday, a Spanish court accused 10 people of the break-in at the embassy. It named Mexican national Adrian Hong Chang as leader of the group. He contacted "the FBI in New York five days after the assault.”
Two of the men also took a commercial attache to an underground room and asked him to defect.
A mysterious dissident group, Cheollima Civil Defense (CCD), also known as Free Joseon, acknowledged on its website hours after the court's decision, that it was behind the Feb. 22 incident but said it was not an attack and that the group had been invited into the embassy.
On Monday, it said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would be humiliated if he rejected calls for freedom.