An autopsy revealed the cause of death -- brain swelling from cocaine overdose -- after the man's body was removed from an Aeromexico flight that made an emergency landing in northern Mexico.
A Japanese man reportedly died on a flight from Bogota, Colombia to Narita, Japan this week after swallowing a large number of cocaine packets.
According to an ABC report, the 42-year-old man had swallowed 246 packets of cocaine before he took off from Bogota's El Dorado International Airport.
During the flight, the man, who was identified as Udo N., suffered a seizure before he was declared dead. The plane was forced to make an emergency landing as a result of the man's death.
"Flight attendants noticed a person suffering convulsions, and requested permission to make an emergency landing in Hermosillo, Sonora," the prosecutor's office for the Mexican state of Sonora said in a statement.
An autopsy revealed the cause of death -- brain swelling from cocaine overdose -- after the man's body was removed from an Aeromexico flight that made an emergency landing in northern Mexico, according to a statement issued by the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Sonora. "Staff noticed that a person was suffering from seizures, so they requested to make an emergency landing in this city, Hermosillo," according to the statement.
The Aeromexico plane, which was carrying 198 other passengers, resumed its flight to Japan after the body was removed, prosecutors said.