Hundreds of Israeli settlers have stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East Jerusalem for Passover, the Palestinian news agency WAFA reports.
Approximately 500 people entered the mosque, including 13 Israeli special forces officers. The break-ins have been ongoing for several days as several organizations call on supporters to enter such spaces for the holiday.
At least 1,731 Israeli settlers have illegally entered the compound since Sunday, according to Al Jazeera.
"The settlers toured the compound and preformed Talmudic rituals near the Dome of the Rock mosque," Al-Aqsa Mosque Director Omar Kiswani told Anadolu Agency.
Kiswani also said that Israeli police were restricting the entry of Muslim men in the compound.
Several dozen young Palestinians had attempted to block entry, but Israeli forces dispelled them with teargas and rubber bullets, according to Anadolu.
The compound has been the site of violence previously. Many believe that hardline Zionists would like to take full control of the site, which is the third holiest in Islam.
The site is sacred to both Jews and Muslims. Jews believe it is the burial place of Joseph, the biblical patriarch, while Palestinians say it is the resting place of Muslim cleric Sheikh Youssef Dawiqat.