The International Federation for Human Rights released a report Friday saying that “the summer offensive in 2014 was the worst (Palestinians) had seen. Bombs fell entirely indiscriminately, on men, women and children alike. ” The report is called, “Trapped and Punished: The Gaza Civilian Population under Operation Protective.”
FIDH was the first human rights organization to have access to the Gaza Strip since the ceasefire that ended Operation Protective Edge, Israel’s 50 day assault on Gaza. The organization visited Rafah, Beit Hanoun, and Gaza City, in order to ascertain the consequences of the Israeli military attack last year.
Three days before Palestine becomes an official member of the International Criminal Court, April 1, the report by FIDH was sent to the ICC. FIDH is hoping that filing this report will give even more evidence to support the Palestinian claim that Israel committed war crimes in the Gaza Strip.
Shawan Jabbarin, Vice-President of FIDH said, “It’s now time for the ICC to move from a mere preliminary examination of the conflict to a full investigation. The Prosecutor must go to the field in order to appreciate the magnitude of the crimes committed … We all hope that April 1 will be a milestone in the fight against impunity in Palestine and Israel. Palestinians have been waiting for justice for far too long.”
The report also cataloged Israel refusing Palestinians access to humanitarian relief, targeting residential neighborhoods, the lack of healthcare facilities, and the destruction of necessary civilian infrastracture.
The president of FIDH, Karim Laidji, said, "Impunity is nothing but an invitation to commit further such crimes. It’s time for international justice to prevail over an unwilling national justice system."