• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Vice president of the World Bank's Africa division speaks while leading a march of Nigeria women and mothers of the kidnapped girls of Chibok, April 30, 2014.

    Vice president of the World Bank's Africa division speaks while leading a march of Nigeria women and mothers of the kidnapped girls of Chibok, April 30, 2014. | Photo: AFP

Published 29 April 2015

The girls and women were rescued in a remote area located in the Sambisa Forest in Borno state, where Boko Haram has long been suspected of operating.

Nigerian authorities Tuesday said army forces managed to rescue 200 girls and 93 women from a Boko Haram stronghold.

"Troops have this afternoon captured and destroyed three camps of terrorists inside the Sambisa forest and rescued 200 girls and 93 women," defense spokesman Chris Olukolade said.

However, there was no confirmation the hostages were those kidnapped from Chibok a year ago.

The girls and women were rescued in a remote area located in the Sambisa Forest in Borno state, where Boko Haram has long been suspected of operating. Authorities say the freed persons are now being screened and profiled.

Earlier this month, the country marked a year since more than 200 girls were abducted by the extremist group, prompting international outcry calling for the girls to be returned.

According to nongovernmental organizations and officials, nearly 2,000 women have been kidnapped since early last year by the extremists, who seek to revive a medieval caliphate in Nigeria – Africa's most populous country and its largest energy producer.

Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.