Get our newsletter delivered directly to your inbox
I have already subscribed | Do not show this message again
Your email has been successfully registered.
Major League Baseball and Cuban Baseball Federation reached an agreement that will facilitate the Cuban presence in U.S. teams.
The United States Major League Baseball (MLB) signed an agreement with the Cuban Baseball Federation (CBF) that will allow players on the island to sign with any team in the United States without having to defect from their country, MLB Deputy Commissioner Dan Halem said Wednesday.
The agreement provides a safe and legal framework for Cubans to reach the Major Leagues without having to resort to dangerous trips through traffickers. MLB teams will pay the Cuban Baseball Federation a percentage of the bonus granted to any player.
"Our main objective in this agreement is to provide players in Cuba with a path to the Major Leagues without having to endure the difficulties that many of our players have already experienced," Halem said.
Thanks to the MLB-CBF Agreement, players from the island "will be able to perform in the U.S. professional league without losing their residence in Cuba, nor their link with Cuban baseball," the parties said in a statement.
Official confirmation from Cuba’s Ambassador to the US of the historic agreement between MLB and Cuban baseball, which is a passion for Cubans. Will Trump White House let them play ball? https://t.co/rZjs4WwsOI
Cuban baseball players like Yuliesky Gourriel (Houston Astros), Jose Dariel Abreu (Chicago White Sox), and Yasiel Puig (Los Angeles Dodgers), among others, had to defect to sign on U.S. major league teams. More than 350 players from the island have defected since the beginning of 2014.
Cubans hired over 25 years of age or with six years of service in the local league will be free to sign with major league teams, Halem, who clarified that the players of less age will have to ask permission, said. If they desert, they will have to face a waiting period of one to two years, he added.
Jose Abreu: (...) The next generation of Cuban baseball players will be able to sign an MLB contract while in Cuba, they will be able to keep their earnings as any other player in the world, they will be able to return to Cuba (...) pic.twitter.com/RmBTPdZe2K
Negotiations in baseball began when former presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro agreed to work to restore diplomatic ties in 2014. The Cuban Federation becomes the fourth to reach an agreement of this nature with the MLB, following their counterparts from Japan, South Korea and China.
The economic embargo that the U.S. government still has on Cuba, however, could prevent the agreement from being fully carried out, Enrique Rojas, a sports reporter, said through his Twitter account, explaining that the U.S. embargo regulates relations between U.S. companies, such as MLB, with Cuban entities.
Since the arrival of U.S. President Donald Trump to the White House -recalled Albat, a baseball media - any progress made by the Obama Administration had been scrapped. In addition to the economic embargo, there is the possibility that entities such as the U.S. National Security Council, or hard-line conservatives who see any deal with Cuba as a danger, can seek to veto the MLB-CBF agreement.