Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and Revolutionary Alternative Forces of the Commons, FARC, leader Rodrigo "Timochenko" Londoño held a joint press conference on Friday on the first anniversary of the peace deal made between the government and former leftist rebels.
FARC Leader Denounces Government Breach of Peace Accord to UN
At the press conference, both leaders evaluated the successes and failures of the landmark accord.
Santos claimed his government is working on improving safety for social movement leaders and ex-FARC combatants. Although he admitted that the implementation of such security measures have been slow, he said "there is no pattern" to say that "there is a systematic policy" of murders of social leaders.
So far this year, 78 social leaders have been killed, according to a report by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees released last week that the government dismissed. Dozens of former FARC militants have been murdered and hundreds more have been attacked.
"To reconcile a peace process, it is difficult to know where to draw the line between justice and peace, because there will always be dissatisfaction on both sides," Santos said.
"With the peace agreement we find a balance."
Timochenko, stressing the need for the government to keep its word on security measures, emphasized that the Colombian government is not fully complying with the terms established in the peace agreement. He cited the high number of former FARC militants and social leaders who have been killed.
Nonetheless, he reaffirmed his commitment to continue the peace process. He also expressed his newly-formed party's interest in changing Colombia's political landscape.
"Colombia is tired of the ruling political class and we will seek to make a new policy," Timochenko said.