• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
News > Latin America

Colombia: ELN Allegedly Bombs Bridge, Causing 150-Car Pile-Up

  • According to police, the explosion caused a 150-car-pile up, although no injuries have so far been reported.

    According to police, the explosion caused a 150-car-pile up, although no injuries have so far been reported. | Photo: Twitter @LuzEstella

Published 10 February 2018
Opinion

The Colombian military is retaliating by intensifying their offensive against the ELN, and an armed strike has already been ordered by the defense minister.

Colombia's National Liberation Army (ELN) allegedly bombed a bridge in southern Colombia on Saturday, causing a 150-car pile-up, although no injuries have so far been reported.

RELATED: 

Colombia: Social Leaders, Lawmakers Call for New Peace Talks Between ELN, Government

A bridge joining the cities of Pelaya and La Mata on the Ruta al Sol was completely destroyed in the detonation, Colombia Director of the Police General Jorge Hernando Nieto confirmed.

The Colombian military is retaliating by intensifying their offensive against the ELN, and an armed strike has already been ordered by Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas, RCN Radio reports.

"The operations of the public force against the ELN and the security devices for the national roads are already underway," he said.

A national blockade, similar to that announced by the ELN on Wednesday, was initiated from 6 a.m. Saturday and will continue until February 13. Intelligence personnel are investigating a way to neutralize any further terrorist attacks by the guerrilla group.

"We make the call not to echo the ELN's actions of generating fear and anxiety," said Villegas. "We are equipped and prepared to guarantee the security of all Colombians and to counteract the intentions of these groups that want to destabilize the order."

The ELN and rebel group turned political party the Revolutionary Alternative Forces of Colombia (FARC) have consistently urged President Juan Manuel Santos to resume peace talks.

The Catholic church and United Nations officials also insist the government should re-engage in the cease-fire talks, which ground to a halt last month.

Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.