Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio 'Lula' da Silva's legal defense team was negotiating Saturday the terms under which he will surrender himself to federal police in accordance with an arrest warrant issued by judge Sergio Moro Thursday.
The negotiations took place as Lula was attending a mass celebrating the 68th birthday of his late wife, Marisa Leticia, on the grounds of the ABC Steelworkers Union headquarters in Sao Bernardo do Campo, Sao Paulo, where he's been holed up since the arrest warrant was issued.
Supporters who spoke with Agencia Brasil said he will surrender sometime Saturday afternoon after the ceremony is over.
Earlier in the day, Gleisi Hoffman, president of the Workers' Party, said Lula will “will remain with political supporters” at the ABC Steelworkers Union headquarters and that “he exercised the option” not to present himself to the federal police in Curitiba.
“I want to make it clear that there hasn't been non-compliance in respect to the arrest warrant issued by judge Sergio Moro on the part of Lula.”
Later Saturday the Supreme Court rejected a new habeas corpus submitted by Lula's attorneys, in which they argued that he still had legal and other matters to pursue that contest his corruption conviction by Brazil's Fourth Regional Federal Court (TRF-4).
The defense team has also presented a precautionary appeal to the United Nations Human Rights Committee seeking to have them stop his detention until the judicial process is exhausted.
"It's evident this situation is illegal and the defense will analyze and verify the possible measures because it's not compatible with the law. It's not compatible with the federal constitution, because the constitution prevents knowing the sentence ahead of the final and definitive guilty verdict, which does not exist in the case of President Lula," said Lula's defense lawyer Cristiano Zanin.