Saudi Arabia has said the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared after visiting the country’s consulate in Istanbul earlier this month, is dead.
The news was announced on state television on Friday. Saudi officials said a fight broke-out between Khashoggi and people who met him in the consulate, leading to the death of the reporter.
Khashoggi was a US permanent resident who wrote for the Washington Post.
It was also announced that Gen Ahmed al-Asiri, an intelligence chief linked to the case, had been dismissed. Eighteen Saudi nationals were said to have been arrested in connection with Khashoggi's death.
This is the first time the Saudi kingdom has admitted Mr Khashoggi has died.
Saudi King Salman has also reportedly ordered the formation of a ministerial committee, headed by Crown Prince Mohammed, to restructure the intelligence services.
The journalist was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, to pick up paperwork that would allow him to marry his fiancée Hatice Cengiz.
Police earlier expanded their search for Khashoggi's body, which is thought to be located in a nearby Belgrad woodland.